Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Behringer DDX3216 - Trying to repair, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Termac View Post
    Hi

This thread is really great, trying to work my way though an issue with my DDX.

Started to get so random "hiss" noise from main outputs about to gigs ago, thought it was the main PA was noisy. On the last gig the whole analogue audio level drop to about a tenth of normal output then jumped back up to normal level at random times and had to swap out the console. It did so when up to normal operating temps and passing a normal audio stream. VU meters did not show the drop just. I suspect somewhere in the DA stream or board or in the Op Amps on the output. Maybe the normal dry joint. Am reasonably competent technically and have normal diagnostic gear, but need some assistance from those that have dealt with these mixers, to provide some level of guidance of where to start.

I love this mixer due to its size and capability for small jobs. If any one would like to chime in it would be most appreciated.

Termac
    Open your ddx, remove any cable from psu to all board, clean both pin and plug it again. I hope it will work. If note, check your psu capasitor and also re solder all the transistor. Goodluck

Comment

• Originally posted by gassanov View Post
      Yes...i already re soldering all the memory chip...i foget the ic label but it looks like a chip on the computer ram. But the problem still there. I guest i have to changes the memory chip righ?
      Hi,
      Well, if you have verified that all pins on the power connector on the mainboard have the right voltage and the VCC on the memory chip (be careful here while measuring here), I would try to replace the memory chips. It can be a little bit tricky to remove the old memory chips, but if you got hold of new chips, it's sometimes easier to cut of pin by pin on the old mem-chip with a small sharp nipper. When that is done, you can remove the capsule and the remove pin by pin with the soldering iron. (This is not a beginners operation)
      Now it's just to put the new on place! (c;

Comment

• It will be easier and less destructive to probably good ICs to use Chip-Quik SMD Removal using a Chip Quik kit - YouTube very low temperature solder to simple wet all the leads with the solder and pick the part off with your figures without damaging it or the pc board. Those chips would each take about 5-10 second of work to remove and yield an undamaged board and chip that can be reinstalled if you find it is not the problem. That and hot air are the only two ways of properly removing such a large chip. The same low temp solder is very useful in removing heavier parts that are solder to ground planes/heat sinks, such as a pot or switch, jacks and others that could take a lot of heat applied to both sides of the board to remove if using a conventional desoldering technique such as braid or solder sucker.
        Good luck

Comment

• Those RAM memory chips are pretty robust .
          I have seen those BOOT memory errors before........from what i remember ,turned out to be the Elan microprocessor,
          I would recommend a reflow of the micro ,then replace if no joy.
          ? We are talking about the CPU RAM(s) rather than the Flash ROM(s) ?!
          Last edited by S2udio; 10-02-2012, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by S2udio View Post
            Those RAM memory chips are pretty robust .
            I have seen those BOOT memory errors before........from what i remember ,turned out to be the Elan microprocessor,
            I would recommend a reflow of the micro ,then replace if no joy.
            ? We are talking about the CPU RAM(s) rather than the Flash ROM(s) ?!
            Hi,
            One of my DDXs has a little defect on the DSP card. There is a little "klicking sound" on FX1 on some effects. I would guess it is some problem with one of the memory chip on the DSP board, but i'm not shure. Perhaps you know anything about that? Besides that, the mixer works fine.

Comment

• Thx all for the advice...hope i can find the replacement memory in my county (indonesia) ic 24-32 it looks like an old edo ram. I give you report soon after i got the chip. Thx again. Sorry for my bad english.

Comment

• Still working through the issue mentioned above. Have seen some references to service schematics and manuals, tried the links but they are dead. Does anyone have either that are downloadable?

Thanks for reading.

Termac

Comment

• Low Audio Output Level

Still working through the issue mentioned above. Have seen some references to service schematics and manuals, tried the links but they are dead. Does anyone have either that are downloadable?

Thanks for reading.

Termac

Comment

• Wow - - What all this says to me: "Stay the hell away from Behringer gear until they learn how to design reliable electronics"

No offense meant. In many ways, Behringer is like Peavey was back in the '70s: Low dollars, feature packed, and absolutely not reliable enough to be considered road-worthy. Eventually Peavey, over the years, mastered the art of electronics design, and now make some great stuff.

Assuming Behringer is on a similar path, I may look into buying some of their stuff around 2025 or so...

Comment

• Here i am again, long time agow i ordered 2 # am386sc300 in china.
                      I replaced the processor, NO LUCK.
                      But i think it's because i received the wrong type, see picture
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	am386sc300.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	829.7 KB
ID:	827954
                      so i removed it and... ordered a elan386sc300 also in china.
                      In a few weeks it will arrive then i try again...

Comment

• The original is an Advanced Micro (AMD) part. It will probably require an exact replacement - If I recall correctly, the AMD parts had some processor instruction set differences to the Intel 386 processor.

Comment

• Originally posted by philbo View Post
                          The original is an Advanced Micro (AMD) part. It will probably require an exact replacement - If I recall correctly, the AMD parts had some processor instruction set differences to the Intel 386 processor.
                          Philbo: As I mentioned before, first I ordered the AMD386SC300 and received the one on the picture but looking on the original it should be ELAN SC300 33KC so I ordered that one it should be arrive in 2 weeks

Comment

• FYI

Some pictures of my behringer stack, where the multicable (1# CAT5) transports 3X ADAT (24 channels) in and 1X ADAT (8 channels) out.Click image for larger version

Name:	1_ddx3216_mixer.JPG
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	827964Click image for larger version

Name:	2_stage_front.JPG
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	827965Click image for larger version

Name:	3_stage_back.JPG
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	827966Click image for larger version

Name:	4_multicable.JPG
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	827967Click image for larger version

Name:	5_rj45_multicable_conn.JPG
Size:	780.5 KB
ID:	827968
                            This set I use several years with no problems.

Comment

• What did you remove the "wrong" chip with a chainsaw....!
                              Those pcb tracks on the elan are pretty fragile ...take care if you want that cpu board to ever work again !

Comment

• Originally posted by S2udio View Post
                                What did you remove the "wrong" chip with a chainsaw....!
                                Those pcb tracks on the elan are pretty fragile ...take care if you want that cpu board to ever work again !
                                Chainsawed pcb still looks goodClick image for larger version

Name:	cpu01_zonder_ic.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	537.9 KB
ID:	827975

Comment

Working...
                                X