Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Behringer DDX3216 - Trying to repair, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JD13208 View Post
    Hi I am new here and have got this DDX3216 from a friend who said it was working perfectly and had shipped it to me.
    When I unpacked and powered it up, everything came on except the LCD which only lights up abt half and is completly black.
    Have been trying to fix the issue but I am not very experienced with LCD's
    Is it a fault of the LCD or any other IC, PSU related issue?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
    Start by replacing filter caps in the power supply. There are many.

Comment

• "guitardad " Hi thanks for the info do you have a list of caps that go into the PSU. Would be grateful if you could share the same

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by JD13208 View Post
        "guitardad " Hi thanks for the info do you have a list of caps that go into the PSU. Would be grateful if you could share the same

Thanks
        IIRC

2- 220UF @ 63v
        3- 1UF @50v
        9-1000UF @16v
        8-2200UF @10v
        1- 470UF @35v
        3- 47UF @ 25v

(and a partridge in a pear tree) lol

I just took one of these in today so I will have to look up the rest. I think those cover it though. The one I took in has a display problem as well. I won't get to it until tomorrow.

Interesting to see so many DDX3216 threads. Must be a lot of caps out there drying up. All I know is these are not real fun to work on. When I recap that SMPS, I make sure I take pics of the connectors and locations as I disassemble the unit. I also use a sharpie and mark specific areas on the board connectors and ribbon connector at cable insert areas. Then they match up exactly as they were. More or less my fail safe.

There is also a crystal common to fail that cause the display issues. You can search for that here in other threads.

Comment

• Thanks guitardad,

The problem i am having too is with the display. the rest of the mixer works just fine. the display is lighting up completly black half ways.
          after reading through the forum i decided to change the PSU caps. Also would like to know if i can replace the display with another 240x64 Monochrome dotmatrix LCD that has a T6963c controller will it work?

Thank you

Comment

• Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a DDX3216, second hand. It's been working perfectly for a few weeks, but I'm starting to experience strange things : the faders slightly randomly move from time to time, and I also could see that sometimes the display is smoothly flickering.
            Could that be a PSU problem ? Should I recap ?
            I just went over PLZI's explanation on how to dismount (PLZILandia v5.0 - Recapping DDX3216). Very informative.
            Anyway, before I attempt to do anything, maybe a little "diagnostic" would help.

Thanks in advance !

Comment

• Hi Hoggins,
              I really don't think any "diagnostic" is necessary, other than removing the power supply and seeing which of the outputs are showing excessive noise or are out of tolerance. The symptoms you describe sound very much like power supply to me. There's been much discussion here about a full re-capping of the supply vs targeted diagnostic and "surgical" cap replacement. Because of the expense and potential for damage to the power supply if you're not completely proficient at this sort of thing, I'd recommend the "surgical" approach. I would also suggest that you obtain a reasonable de-soldering tool of some kind and a fairly fine soldering iron, so that you don't overheat the PCB tracks and damage the board when you're trying to remove the old caps. As has been said before, the boards are fairly robust, but you can still damage them if you're not careful.

I've done 6 of these supplies now, and never had a problem, but I do have a nice de-soldering station with electric suction pump - makes life very much easier!

Also, check out my previous post (and others) about increasing the fan air flow over the power supply, so it doesn't deteriorate once you've fixed it!

Regards

Doug

Comment

• Hey Doug,

Thanks a lot for the tips ! Fortunately, I have a full electronics lab at work, and qualified personel that will help me performing the recapping.
                And I will certainly follow your advice and improve the airflow !

Cheers.

Comment

• Great, so you're all set! As you have such a setup, I would change my recommendation to "change every cap that you have a replacement for" including the small disc ceramic ones, as they have a history of deteriorating and causing issues such as analog supply startup failure (causing the symptom whereby if you power the desk off, then immediately on, all the "peak" LEDS on the analog input channels light up).

Certainly any Electrolytic with any visible signs of failure (bulging tops) should definitely go!

All the best

Doug

Comment

• Will do ! Thanks a lot !
                    I'm gonna give this baby a fresh look !

Comment

• LCD problem

Originally posted by JD13208 View Post
                      Hi I am new here and have got this DDX3216 from a friend who said it was working perfectly and had shipped it to me.
                      When I unpacked and powered it up, everything came on except the LCD which only lights up abt half and is completly black.
                      Have been trying to fix the issue but I am not very experienced with LCD's
                      Is it a fault of the LCD or any other IC, PSU related issue?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
                      Check R8 on the back of the LCD board, should be 127K and also check R3 should be 47K . if every thing checks good you might want to check with mouser.com and order the LCD screen
                      the part # is 668-NG-S240064IMNSGW This screen is 240x64 Resolution, Fluid type is STN, Size is W/180mm/H/65mm T/16.1mm.

Hope this is of some help,
                      Bill wilds

Comment

• The 668-NG-S240064IMNSGW lcd display will not work, I trying to locate a LCD display that has a DC to DC converter built on

Comment

• I have been looking up and down this thread for some help, but Im still at a loss i'm afraid.
                          I sold a perfectly good DDX3216 on EBay, it was sent back to me with chewed up screws left right and centre, and No Audio output.
                          Everything appears to work, all tabs change in the pages in the display, I have an in and output only on the RCA input at the top.
                          I saw in one of the threads that it could be opamps. Could someone tell me where to look for the op amps, I did find schematics for this so could be directed by you.
                          I understand what the opamps are as I had to replace some in my Behringer Monitor speakers.
                          Would this be th very most likely thing to cause no output. When I put an input into say....channel 1, it is showing an input on the peak LED but not on the fader LEDS

Comment

• Are all channels the same, or only some channels?
                            Originally posted by Enzo
                            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

• Yes.
                              If I put an audio signal into the line in, it shows it is getting it there at the signal clip :LED and gain control, all channels, but not getting any further. Is there a Left/Right IC which amplifies the signal?

Comment

• How can I get the DDXupdate V1.11 to repair my 3216 that won't boot? Behringer has ignored all of my requests.
                                Thank you!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X