Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 36 to 56 of 56
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Circuits involve active electronics and a dummy coil.

  1. #36
    Supporting Member Steve A.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,820
    Quote Originally Posted by NateS View Post
    I'm considering this for a two pickup RW/RP guitar, which necessitates invertering the coil for one of the pickups...
    Nate:
    IMO there is a simpler way to accomplish this without having to use electronic circuitry to invert the dummy coil- check out the wiring diagram for the Gibson Blueshawk:

    bhcircuit.jpg

    bh_wiring_update.jpg

    The first picture is the official Gibson wiring diagram while the second one was what the curator of the BluesHawk website drew up himself with some corrections made after he was finally able to obtain the official schematic. (Gibson ought to post his drawing since it is much easier to understand!) He goes into a lot more detail in his very excellent single-purpose website, which is undoubtedly everything you wanted to know about one of Gibson's most interesting guitars!

    www.blueshawk.info/resources

    I believe that the dummy coil used in the Blueshawk is basically a P-90 coil without the magnets or any kind of metal load. The BH selector switch has just 3 positions, all of which are humcancelling, so you don't get to A/B the effect of the dummy coil (which from my experiments adds some compression and loses some of the brightness.) It seems like most people think that it is the RW/RP properties that create the humcancelling effect but I figured out on my own strictly by accident that it was the [B]reverse winding[/B] that was responsible for the humcancelling effect and that the reverse polarity that keeps the pair in phase. I guess that is common knowledge now among guitar techs but I was shocked when I discovered that since the Brosnac book (1st edition) was my bible and he did not consider the possibility of a humcancelling pair that was out-of-phase (see the chart on Page 35 1st ed. which has a 4 x 4 grid showing all 16 combinations of strat pickups).

    In any case my interpretation of the drawing is that the two pickups are NW/RP with the windings of the neck pickup inverted in the middle switch position. The neck pickup is South up and the bridge pickup is North up, but all three positions of the selector switch are humcancelling (the dummy coil is bypassed in the middle position which is a series linkage.) It would be easy to add a switch (or a pole of a 4P/5T or 4P/6T switch) to bypass the dummy coil in the neck only or bridge only positions when humcancelling is not needed. (I think that Gibson left that option out to keep people from A/B-ing the effect of the dummy coil and discovering that it sounded better without it!) One more thing to note in the drawing- for the middle position of the switch the signal to the controls is shunted through a treble bleed RC network consisting of a 100k resistor and a 0.0047uF cap to brighten up the sound of the series linkage. You should be able to add a switch (or switch poles) to be able to get a parallel linkage in the middle position.

    Good luck!

    Steve Ahola


    EDIT I had drawn up a wiring diagram inspired by the BluesHawk which had a RW/RP pair of P-90's wiring in series with a dummy coil in the middle. The middle position would have the two P-90's in series- I forget if I was able to get them in parallel as well. I'll have to see what I can come up with again. (My LP Jr Special is just begging for a dummy coil between the two P-90's under the pick guard.)
    Last edited by Steve A.; 02-07-2012 at 05:26 AM.

  2. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    200
    That schematic makes the active circuit look simple. I'm glad to finally see that schematic though.

    There are two choices: 1) make the dummy coil an insignificant load 2) make the the dummy coil an insignificant load. Active electronics is actually the least technical way to do this. IMO

  3. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    200
    The Cap is actually a good idea. The bias network in series with the winding resistance creates a LR high pass... A few dB... But none the less, I like that you add it

    The 2.7M are also wise! Good thinking. The 2.7M's are in parallel with your volume. Thermal noise will be shunt by the volume control. I'll check that link next time I jump on a computer. Thanks for sharing. I like your "hair brained" ideas

  4. #39
    Senior Member uneumann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    192
    I'm new here, but recently did some work with a dummy coil on a Tele ... seems this is not a new idea to you all - but it was to me.
    I have the whole story posted here with pictures, if you're interested.

    https://sites.google.com/site/string...for-sc-pickups

  5. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    200
    Great article! I admire people who can explain things as well as this. I don't find your name anywhere on your site

    one typo:
    "....One is electromagnetic and this noise source is addressed by shielding. Again, there are lots of websites and articles about shielding. Ideally, a metal shield surrounds the guitar electronics, including the PUs, and is tied to the guitar cable ground...."

    A conductive shield, such as foil, "shields" from the electric field, not the electromagnetic field.

    By reading your article, I am quite certain that you know this and it is only typographic

    Excellent job, I think you should sign your name to it!
    Cheers,
    Ethan

  6. #41
    Senior Member uneumann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by CRU JONES View Post
    Great article! I admire people who can explain things as well as this. I don't find your name anywhere on your site;)

    one typo:
    "....One is electromagnetic and this noise source is addressed by shielding. Again, there are lots of websites and articles about shielding. Ideally, a metal shield surrounds the guitar electronics, including the PUs, and is tied to the guitar cable ground...."

    A conductive shield, such as foil, "shields" from the electric field, not the electromagnetic field.

    By reading your article, I am quite certain that you know this and it is only typographic:)

    Excellent job, I think you should sign your name to it!
    Cheers,
    Ethan
    Thanks Ethan - good catch - EM is not my strength so I used the terminology loosely. I've made the fix - and actually caught another in the process. Thanks again.

    My site has my gmail address (uneumann@gmail.com) if anyone wants to reach me. As for signing, it seems like email is a sig these days. ;-)

    -Ulrich Neumann

  7. #42
    Senior Member uneumann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    192
    I've now made a hum cancelling coil for a strat-like guitar (my G&L S-500). It works great and it's pretty easy to do.
    Details are at https://sites.google.com/site/string...for-sc-pickups

  8. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    21
    Att. Mike Sulzer.
    Old thread but looking for answers :-)

    I know my way around tubes but not much about transistors/fets etc.
    Anyway I breadboard your dummy coil buffer circuit, testing several J201 i'm getting at the output (top of 27k resister) between 0.55v to 0.85v (Vdd is 8.6v).
    Is that ok?
    This means current drain is like 30nA...
    I'm not getting any voltage reading on the gate... i guess its in nano-volts... shouldn't the gate be biased to some level like mid Vdd?

    * post edit: guess i haven't built anything in a while... gate is at 0V while source is at 0.55-0.85V so its fine for mV noise signal :-)
    I was just thrown off by googling jfet followers schematics and seeing them all being biased by a divider to mid Vdd.

    Btw, if i'll use a gain stage (common source, which inverts the signal) before the buffer, with the dummy at same wind direction as the pickups, does it mean I'll also get some level of electrical noise cancellation?
    Last edited by Amit; 10-15-2015 at 12:34 PM.

  9. #44
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,840
    I prefer the source follower in this application because of the low impedance looking back into it. (If you use the circuit for two pickups this provides isolation.) But the circuit with gain should work as you say. Also be careful with noise (hiss). If you use fewer turns on the dummy and amplify up, you might notice hiss.

    I like the low current because battery life is long, and it works, but there is nothing wrong with changing the circuit for higher current with traditional biasing if you like.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Att. Mike Sulzer.
    Old thread but looking for answers :-)

    I know my way around tubes but not much about transistors/fets etc.
    Anyway I breadboard your dummy coil buffer circuit, testing several J201 i'm getting at the output (top of 27k resister) between 0.55v to 0.85v (Vdd is 8.6v).
    Is that ok?
    This means current drain is like 30nA...
    I'm not getting any voltage reading on the gate... i guess its in nano-volts... shouldn't the gate be biased to some level like mid Vdd?

    * post edit: guess i haven't built anything in a while... gate is at 0V while source is at 0.55-0.85V so its fine for mV noise signal :-)
    I was just thrown off by googling jfet followers schematics and seeing them all being biased by a divider to mid Vdd.

    Btw, if i'll use a gain stage (common source, which inverts the signal) before the buffer, with the dummy at same wind direction as the pickups, does it mean I'll also get some level of electrical noise cancellation?

  10. #45
    Supporting Member Steve A.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,820
    Quote Originally Posted by uneumann View Post
    I've now made a hum cancelling coil for a strat-like guitar (my G&L S-500). It works great and it's pretty easy to do.
    Details are at https://sites.google.com/site/string...for-sc-pickups
    I just checked out uneumann's link and found it to be interesting although it deals strictly with passive dummy coils...

    I've attached a PDF capture of the page for future reference...

    saf.dc.pdf

    Steve A.

  11. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    21
    Yup just a follower is obviously the best way if you use matching pickup and dummy.
    In my case I'm trying to tame a Tele, so bridge pickup and neck pickup are way different.

    As a middle ground between the pickups for the dummy I'll use a Strat single, hence why I look to add a bit of boost, to match the bridge noise level. neck obviously will need just passive pot adjustment.
    I thought about using local feedback inverting amp with a single jfet like in tubes:
    Designing Single-Stage Inverting Feedback Amplifiers
    But I can't find schematics of such an amp using jfets on the web... jfets are not able to do that?


    Thanks for the replay after all those years

  12. #47
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,840
    Sure, you can do that with FETs. But remember what we are trying to do. The idea is to put the voltage from the dummy in series with the pickup coil without the dummy's inductance adding to that of the pickup coil. Therefore we measure the dummy's voltage: a very high impedance is used for this so that you do not load the dummy and thus alter the relative levels of the different hum harmonics. The follower lowers the impedance while "following" the voltage so you can insert it in series with the "ground" lead of the pickup with minimal effect on the sound of the pickup from the adjustment pot..

    Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Yup just a follower is obviously the best way if you use matching pickup and dummy.
    In my case I'm trying to tame a Tele, so bridge pickup and neck pickup are way different.

    As a middle ground between the pickups for the dummy I'll use a Strat single, hence why I look to add a bit of boost, to match the bridge noise level. neck obviously will need just passive pot adjustment.
    I thought about using local feedback inverting amp with a single jfet like in tubes:
    Designing Single-Stage Inverting Feedback Amplifiers
    But I can't find schematics of such an amp using jfets on the web... jfets are not able to do that?


    Thanks for the replay after all those years

  13. #48
    Junior Member AlDiMeowla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3
    Hello and sorry for necrobumping the thread. I am very intrigued by this FET-dummy coil buffering, that Mike was talking about. But it seems the schematic has disappeared. Would anyone of you happen to have a copy of it to post again? Thanks

  14. #49
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,840
    buffereddummy.png
    Quote Originally Posted by AlDiMeowla View Post
    Hello and sorry for necrobumping the thread. I am very intrigued by this FET-dummy coil buffering, that Mike was talking about. But it seems the schematic has disappeared. Would anyone of you happen to have a copy of it to post again? Thanks


    I am having trouble getting it to attach.

  15. #50
    Junior Member AlDiMeowla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3
    Maybe PM me, or upload and link to an external imagehosting site?

  16. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    new bradwell, uk
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by AlDiMeowla View Post
    Maybe PM me, or upload and link to an external imagehosting site?
    Ah! I am also interested in this. Funny how I find myself here 3 days after your request.
    If you would be so kind, Mike Sulzer, I would really appreciate that!
    eschertron likes this.

  17. #52
    Supporting Member Steve A.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,820
    Quote Originally Posted by AlDiMeowla View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlDiMeowla View Post
    Hello and sorry for necrobumping the thread. I am very intrigued by this FET-dummy coil buffering, that Mike was talking about. But it seems the schematic has disappeared. Would anyone of you happen to have a copy of it to post again? Thanks
    I am having trouble getting it to attach.
    Maybe PM me, or upload and link to an external imagehosting site?
    Al: Perhaps if you include the Post # [this post is #52] the original schematic can be retrieved. Or not.

    Mike: Can you try attaching the schematic again? I just checked and was able to attach an image file here. Or PM/email it to me and I can try to reattach it to the original post (I'd need to know Post # to do that.)

    Al: If you have run across a good imagehosting site still around let us know. Photobucket used to be great but the last time I checked I could not link directly to 100's of images I had uploaded there (links went to an HTML page that included the image- along with tons of ads! )

    %=%=%=%=%=%=%

    Most people seem to be using cloud host sites like DropBox these days. DropBox gives you 2GB space for free*** but the code generated to share files includes "dl=0" as the last entry which disables downloading.

    Change the 0 to 1 (or delete the entry) for a direct link to the file.

    There are other cloud host sites but DropBox has been around forever and is well-integrated on most platforms, programs and mobile apps. I use my stable of Android tablets for 99% of my computing these days and DropBox is indispensable for sharing files between my various mobile devices and my PC (you'll want to install DropBox on a host computer which mirrors the contents in the cloud.)

    Steve A. "Super Moderator" (I mention that only because I have moderator powers for all of the forums here and do not want to step on the toes of the actual moderator of each forum.)

    *** There is free bonus space available. My Samsung Tab 4 7.0 tablet came with a one-time bonus of an additional 48GB space there but that expired after 2 years. Or you can pay $9.99/mo for 1TB space (ouch!) Here's a link explaining how to earn more space for free:

    https://www.dropbox.com/help/space/get-more-space

    Getting family, friends or co-workers to join DropBox gives you a 500MB bonus apiece (up to 16GB.)
    Last edited by Steve A.; 05-31-2017 at 06:19 PM.

  18. #53
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,840
    I made a new pdf file. That seems to work.

    bufferedDummy.pdf

  19. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    new bradwell, uk
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
    I made a new pdf file. That seems to work.

    bufferedDummy.pdf
    Thank you very much, Mike.

  20. #55
    Junior Member AlDiMeowla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
    I made a new pdf file. That seems to work.

    bufferedDummy.pdf
    Many thanks Mike!
    That circuit is brilliant in its simplicity. I like the individual pickup trimpots. Looks like it could be powered with a very small battery. Any recommendations on a specific J-FET?

  21. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    new bradwell, uk
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by AlDiMeowla View Post
    Many thanks Mike!
    That circuit is brilliant in its simplicity. I like the individual pickup trimpots. Looks like it could be powered with a very small battery. Any recommendations on a specific J-FET?


    Just did this with a K117. I have a guitar with 2xP90s but only use the bridge, so I pulled the magnets off the neck. I had to modify the circuit to provide some gain, because the bridge is overwound wrt the neck. I used a 6.8k on the drain and 2.2k on the source - maybe a bit high res but wanted to keep current draw low as just using a CR2032. Flipped + and - pickup wires and took output from the source thru 10uF. It works brilliantly. No discernable effect on tone, and just pop the battery out to see what it would be like with all the noise!

    Thanks again Mike. I wish I had done this years ago!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2011, 05:20 AM
  2. active dummy coil, series or parallel
    By Amplexus in forum Pickup Makers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-04-2010, 12:31 PM
  3. Fine tuning strat single coil pups with a dummy coil?
    By Silent Bob in forum Pickup Makers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-04-2007, 06:15 AM
  4. Dummy coil question
    By truetone in forum Pickup Makers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-30-2007, 08:27 PM
  5. suhr and dummy coil...
    By swt in forum Pickup Makers
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-08-2006, 05:44 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •