Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By eschertron
  • 1 Post By Djoksi

Thread: EMG 81 and 85 wiring diagram,what si wrong?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    3

    EMG 81 and 85 wiring diagram,what si wrong?

    I bay EMG 81 and 85 pickup and,when wiring on this scematics
    https://tops-stars.com/wp-content/up...ng-diagram.jpg
    Both pots are master volume but i want one volume ad one tone pots.
    Whats is wrong with this diagram?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Supporting Member eschertron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Great Black Swamp
    Posts
    1,606
    emg-81-85-wiring-diagram

    verify that the tone cap is an acceptable value (small enough to roll off only high frequencies) and that there is no short between the tone pot wiper and ground. If there is a short, the tone control will function like another master volume.
    Mick Bailey likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Conner View Post
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Thomas View Post
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it.

  3. #3
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,975
    The diagram is fine.

    Also, make sure the capacitor lead is not shorting against the pot casing. If you could post a picture of your guitar wiring it would be helpful.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by eschertron View Post
    emg-81-85-wiring-diagram

    verify that the tone cap is an acceptable value (small enough to roll off only high frequencies) and that there is no short between the tone pot wiper and ground. If there is a short, the tone control will function like another master volume.
    Pots is both 25k...But i understand,what do you mean (that there is no short between the tone pot wiper and ground. If there is a short, the tone control will function like another master volume)?

  5. #5
    Supporting Member eschertron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Great Black Swamp
    Posts
    1,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Djoksi View Post
    Pots is both 25k...But i understand,what do you mean (that there is no short between the tone pot wiper and ground. If there is a short, the tone control will function like another master volume)?
    If you have a wire (short, continuity) from the pot to ground, as you turn the pot down ALL frequencies are shunted to ground. The volume drops. On the tone control, the cap between the pot and ground selectively shunts only high frequencies to ground. If this cap is incorrectly sized or missing (a straight wire in its place, i.e., a short) then the tone control will act as a volume control. This is the behaviour that you describe.

    Check all the soldering and wiring in the control cavity. Photos will help. Do you have a meter? Check continuity from pot connections to ground. draw a picture and mark the resistance readings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Conner View Post
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Thomas View Post
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    3
    Thank you people, I found a problem.
    Capacitor lead touching housing pots and pots conections
    Thanks all....
    eschertron likes this.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-15-2014, 08:56 PM
  2. 81 Music Man Repair - 6L6 Installed Wrong
    By Jtwusmc in forum Guitar Amps
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 12:43 AM
  3. Is there anything wrong with this wiring diagram?
    By TRadja in forum Guitar Tech
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2012, 06:39 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 04:47 AM
  5. EMG 81 / 85 Preamp Burning
    By rdndnr in forum Pickup Makers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-21-2010, 08:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •