Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I tried another identical bobbin/coil, only this time I loaded it with A5 magnetic poll pieces instead of 1215 steel slugs. It sounded good. ...then I put it on a HB baseplate and put a single A5 bar magnet up against the bottoms of the poll pieces, like you would see on a HB. I left a small gap between the poll piece bottoms and baseplate with a custom spacer. VERY nice. I think I'm going to do the same, but with slightly longer A2 poll pieces to mellow it out and bring out those sweet mids a little more.

Here's a little cell phone shot mid build:
    Last edited by ReWind; 08-20-2012, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• I'll show it again another day!

T
      Last edited by big_teee; 08-20-2012, 08:37 PM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

• Stacked bucker or dummy coil, T?

My "Buckhummers" look like that (in the SG in the back).

Comment

• I just made another Neck Blade for a Strat, for a Guitar Shop Customer.
          Going to work on a bridge P/U tomorrow.
          T
          Last edited by big_teee; 08-21-2012, 05:21 AM.
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by Stratz View Post
            Thats why I built my test Strat, I can swap out the pickups (I have 3 pick guards for different pickup type/configurations) in 10 minutes.

While the tone obviously isn't 100% true I get an excellent feel of the general characteristics of the pickups.
            After using the test rig for so long I pretty much know what the pickups will sound like in one of my "real" guitars.
            It really is a time saver and I no longer dread sound testing pickups anymore

Rob.
            I have a test mule too, and it is much easier than in a regular guitar. But it still does take time. T always says he never met a red guitar he didn't like, so I think I will test that theory with these shots. Mine has no pickguard, and a cheap Floyd Rose so I can slack the strings and slip the pups under them. I run the lead wires on the outside to a bunch of terminal blocks and aligator clips in the back. Not the perfect setup but it does give me an idea.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mule1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	825798

Click image for larger version

Name:	mule2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	825799
            www.sonnywalton.com
            How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

• Your right, I like a red guitar.
              I'm in the market for another righty for pick guard testing.
              T
              Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
                I have a test mule too, and it is much easier than in a regular guitar. But it still does take time. T always says he never met a red guitar he didn't like, so I think I will test that theory with these shots. Mine has no pickguard, and a cheap Floyd Rose so I can slack the strings and slip the pups under them. I run the lead wires on the outside to a bunch of terminal blocks and aligator clips in the back. Not the perfect setup but it does give me an idea.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19737[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19738[/ATTACH]
                One of my test guitars is very similar. This one is for HB sets. I have the alligator clips soldered directly to the pot casings/lugs. I also just divebomb the Floyd and swap pickups. With two sets of PU rings, I can A/B two pickup sets very quickly with this.

Comment

• I just installed a set of Sheptone Single coils in a Fender Left handed Strat.
                  I installed them for a guitar shop.
                  I took specs of the Pickups.
                  Specs may not be exact, but close.
                  Here are the Specs of the 3 pickups.
                  All 3 have the same spacing.
                  E B G D A E
                  .640, .618, .670, .670, .640, .640
                  All pickups have a Flatwork Spacing of .390 Inches.
                  Neck is 6.08K, Middle 6.03K, and Bridge 6.3K DCR
                  The Bridge Has a Steel Base Plate.
                  The wire is called 42 HFN.
                  And the Magnets are A5.
                  Last edited by big_teee; 08-23-2012, 01:54 AM.
                  Terry

Comment

• How did they sound?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                      How did they sound?
                      They are OK.
                      I was told to just put them in, nothing else.
                      The shop owner is going to setup the guitar tomorrow.
                      The guitar was so pretty, I was afraid to handle it much.
                      The guitar had a .022uf cap, and I left it.
                      I think the neck may be a little dark if you put in the .1uf I usually run.
                      They sounded different than mine, but I build mine to different specs.
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                        Neck is 6.08K, Middle 6.03K, and Bridge 6.3K DCR
                        The wire is called 42 HFN.
                        And the Magnets are A5.
                        They measure exactly like the StewMac's Vintage Vibe Strat set I have.

The materials are the same too, less the baseplate. Which BTW I've added later, as the bridge p'up was a bit too bright.

A nice sounding set with the baseplate. Worth every penny I've payed.
                        Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                        Milano, Italy

Comment

• Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                          They measure exactly like the StewMac's Vintage Vibe Strat set I have.

The materials are the same too, less the baseplate. Which BTW I've added later, as the bridge p'up was a bit too bright.

A nice sounding set with the baseplate. Worth every penny I've payed.
                          A lot different Specs than the ones I make.
                          I don't do the base plate either.
                          It all sounded OK.
                          Are yours that short?
                          The covers almost hit the flatwork when you put the covers on.
                          Mine have a pretty good gap at the bottom.
                          I build mine around the .1uf Disk Cap.
                          don't think this neck would hold up to a .1uf.
                          I should have put it on and tried it, but was pressed for time.
                          Got to get the guitar back tomorrow.
                          Don't know if the Left hand player is going to like the Right hand Stagger.
                          That puts the short magnet that would be on the B, on the A String and the taller A, on the B.
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by ReWind View Post
                            One of my test guitars is very similar. This one is for HB sets. I have the alligator clips soldered directly to the pot casings/lugs. I also just divebomb the Floyd and swap pickups. With two sets of PU rings, I can A/B two pickup sets very quickly with this.
                            Very similar, except yours looks a lot better. When I divebomb the Floyd, I jam an old lighter under it or a 9v battery to hold it dived. Great minds, or something like that, and it's even also red The body I use has a rout for a HB in the bridge, but I have drilled it and put in a foam plug so I can put either a HB or SC in the bridge position. I have the terminal blocks for the leads, and I later added the aligator clips on the end of short leads for swapping out caps. Can't see it in there very well but there is also a tiny slide switch (under the purple wire) that I sometimes use for split coils. That's why there are four terminals for the hots. One thing I don't like about mine is that the single coil routes are slanted a bit. But it still gives an idea.
                            www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                              A lot different Specs than the ones I make.

Don't know if the Left hand player is going to like the Right hand Stagger.
                              That puts the short magnet that would be on the B, on the A String and the taller A, on the B.
                              T
                              It worked for Hendrix... just sayin.
                              www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
                                It worked for Hendrix... just sayin.
                                That's true, Back then Hendrix had no choice, nothing too user friendly for lefties.
                                I've tried it and don't care for it.
                                Flat would be better, than recessed the wrong way.
                                That is Strictly IMO.
                                I will pass along that if he needs anything else custom and lefty, I can fix him up!
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X