This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
    I bet It is pretty hard to setup a guitar right/opposite handed by feel ...Never really thought about it
    I'm left handed but I play right
    I can play plenty of upside down chords on a righty but still I just can't get a feel for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
      I'm doin some major work on my righty demo strat, routed out the swimming pool, wound a new set of pickups, I used the formvar T, I'll get around to the HPN, put in a micro tilt adjuster for the neck so you can adjust the saddles right up so the screws don't cut your hand off. I hate setting righty guitars up, I can't feel em so have to just go by eye, rightys, yip. This thing is made of basswood I think so I wound the pickups 8400 br and 8000 mid n neck.
      I have the same problem with the leftys, one thing I did once on a guitar that was some amount of trouble but I was building up a lefty for a really good customer and I made a righty nut, strung it backwards, and then played it before I put the lefty nut back on.

On the setscrews that cut your hand it is one of my biggest peeves. I have ended up making a little kit that I sell that has 5 sizes of setscrews and a wrench, I have to grind down one size and re-blue them. Hope I don't get banned for this but here is a photo of the product that's on my website.

Click image for larger version

Name:	setscrew kit.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	825701
      www.sonnywalton.com
      How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
        Just now getting around to checking on it. The only pickup stuff I did today was to take the measurements on those pickups that one of my customers left for me to record the data on. I took the pickguard out of the guitar so I could measure them and unsoldered the leads to the jack and tremolo ground. After I measured everything I soldered it back and when I checked it the volume pot was scratchy, and had a problem with not being quiet when turned all the way down. So I took everything apart again and used contact cleaner, didn't help, finally ended up replacing the volume pot. Don't know if I got it too hot or if it was bad before, but it is fixed now.
        I'm getting a scratchy pot in my 2204 Clone amp.
        Guess I'm going to have to replace it, but not right now.
        Ward, you get anymore snow?
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

• I got an order for a lefty tele set & I have assured the customer with symmetrical poles (E,B,G is same as E,A,D in height & alnico composition ) the pickup is the same as a right handed pickup ...Keep in mind I gauss the magnets according to the strings
          Is the anything I'm missing ? FROM the lefty's winders aspect
          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

• This was posted on another forum I frequent.
            The thread was "guitars that got away that you wish you had back"
            This was posted, I had to Laugh.

"In 1974 I got an LP copy in blonde birdseye maple, built by a guy named Taylor at a store in Lemon Grove called American Dream Music. It was the best guitar I ever owned. I sold it for a measly $75 three years later to get my pregnant wife a rocking chair. I miss the guitar but wish I'd sold her instead".
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              I'm getting a scratchy pot in my 2204 Clone amp.
              Guess I'm going to have to replace it, but not right now.
              Ward, you get anymore snow?
              T
              The volume pot in my clean channel of my 18 watt plexi has a gap that any sound totally goes away...no sound between 5 to 7 .I have got a new pot to replace ..just haven't got around to it

Comment

The volume pot in my clean channel of my 18 watt plexi has a gap that any sound totally goes away...no sound between 5 to 7 .I have got a new pot to replace ..just haven't got around to it
                I keep my amp in my Shop, It's cold in the winter, and hot and humid in the Summer.
                Not the best conditions for an amp, but I like having it down there.
                I played it today, and I still Dig the Hell out of it.
                I about wore it out, putting mods in it and then taking them out.
                Have the tone all to suit me anyway. It has JJ EL34Ls in it right now.
                Did you get the 18W all worked out?
                T
                Terry

Comment

• I need a amp attenuator (which I have on on the way ) for the cranked plexi tones at lower volumes
                  My cab Is in the shed for it I will post some pics ...................my amp without a cab sits on the floor & untill it has a head cab ,you can't ever adjust a knob correctly because of poor vision of the knobs

Comment

That's kind of like what I ran into today. The volume pot would go down to no sound at 1-2 and then back to maybe something like the equivalent of 3 or 5 at the zero mark. Plus scratchy all over. When I unsoldered it and measured it outside the circuit it was the same thing. It is like the wiper maybe wasn't lined up right with the track.
                    www.sonnywalton.com
                    How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

Last edited by Ward; 08-13-2012, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Last edited by Ward; 08-13-2012, 06:33 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
                          I just like no stagger, all mags gaussed the same, I don't hear anything untoWard with no stagger.
                          T, that was hail, not snow.
                          I prefer no stagger for 12" radius and above but I do adjust the Gauss. I always drop the G string pole by 100 Gauss or so.

Speaking of scratchy pots.
                          Heres my old Marshall JMP and a couple of my Strats.
                          I need to pull the chassis and clean the pots.

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                            I wound one, and couldn't get it off the form. I ended up putting it in the scrap pile.
                            One classic approach is to have a form consisting of a circle of smooth springwire pins nailed into a bit of wood. One winds on the pin circle, laces the coil with nylon fishline, then slides the coil off the pins by springing them slightly inward.

Another is two wooden discs, each with a set of smooth pins set at an inward angle. The two discs are mounted on a shaft with pin sides facing. When close enough, the nesting pins form a V-shaped groove into which one winds the coil. The coil is then laced and perhaps taped, and then removed by pulling the two wooden discs apart, freeing the coil.

There are many tricks used for making coils for electric motors.

The completed coil can then be dipped in lacquer and pressed into a slot cut into the bottom of the routed copy.

Be sure to figure out how electrostatic shielding of the cavity will be maintained.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
                              One classic approach is to have a form consisting of a circle of smooth springwire pins nailed into a bit of wood. One winds on the pin circle, laces the coil with nylon fishline, then slides the coil off the pins by springing them slightly inward.

Another is two wooden discs, each with a set of smooth pins set at an inward angle. The two discs are mounted on a shaft with pin sides facing. When close enough, the nesting pins form a V-shaped groove into which one winds the coil. The coil is then laced and perhaps taped, and then removed by pulling the two wooden discs apart, freeing the coil.

There are many tricks used for making coils for electric motors.

The completed coil can then be dipped in lacquer and pressed into a slot cut into the bottom of the routed copy.

Be sure to figure out how electrostatic shielding of the cavity will be maintained.
                              Sounds good, but more effort than I wanted on that project.
                              I thought about a plastic coffee can.
                              Cut the open end in strips, then put a wooden disk inside the can for support.
                              Then when your done pull out the disk then tape the coil.
                              I didn't do that either.
                              Welcome to the round table Joe!
                              Terry
                              Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
                                One classic approach...
                                NOW you tell me! Why didn't you post this yesterday?
                                Oh well, there's always next time.

Timing is everything,
                                -rb
                                DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
                                X