This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
    They don't have to be any particular DCR. I wound the bridge hotter. I did also make the bridge shorter it was .427 so was the middle, and the neck was .436.
    .1uf sounds like a lot, though I know they used that at first. I have tried it and thought it was too dark, but I like them brighter than this guy does. I have some NOS .1uf red dime types maybe I will put one of those in too just for insurance. He doesn't mind to solder and test. I like this guy.

Edit: PS he has already posted a clip of the neck pickup to the facebook blues deluxe group.
    Here's a 60s strat.
    The 50s 60s, and 70s all use the .1u Disk Cap.

**I like that tone, but may be darker than some like.
    Good Night!
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      Here's a 60s strat.
      The 50s 60s, and 70s all use the .1u Disk Cap.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]19623[/ATTACH]
      **I like that tone, but may be darker than some like.
      Good Night!
      OK - so that conflicted with what I thought and I decided to check it out. A lot of places on the guitar forums and so on the word is that Fender changed to .05uF ceramics in the early 60's. That's wrong. But it was what I was going on. So I decided the best thing to do was to look at photos from collectors if I could find them and see what really was in there. They didn't change to .05 until 1969.

Here's what they used, the best I can tell - 1954-1960: .1uf "phonebook ZNW1P1 paper-wax", 1961-1968 .1uF "red dime ceramic", part of 1968 .1uF "chicklet polyester" (there are both green and red examples), 1969 - 1980's: .05uf tan ceramic. The authority on this is actual photos of the real thing from collectors - you can see some of them here:

1965 Fender Stratocaster guitar 1964 Fender Strat guitar 65 64 collector info vintage pre-CBS

If you scroll down there will be a photo of the cap. Also you can move through the years to the previous and next year at the bottom of the first paragraph.
      I know that there are a lot of folks on this forum that have been inside of lots of vintage strats, so If I have any of this stuff wrong I would appreciate being corrected.

So, I do have some of the NOS .1uf red dime types and this morning I got out one of my strats with my other 60s type sets in it and I swapped out the cap to .1. It helped quite a bit. So I am sending the guy a couple of the .1's and a couple of the .05's just in case the .1 is TOO dark for him - which I seriously doubt.
      www.sonnywalton.com
      How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
        OK - so that conflicted with what I thought and I decided to check it out. A lot of places on the guitar forums and so on the word is that Fender changed to .05uF ceramics in the early 60's. That's wrong. But it was what I was going on. So I decided the best thing to do was to look at photos from collectors if I could find them and see what really was in there. They didn't change to .05 until 1969.

Here's what they used, the best I can tell - 1954-1960: .1uf "phonebook ZNW1P1 paper-wax", 1961-1968 .1uF "red dime ceramic", part of 1968 .1uF "chicklet polyester" (there are both green and red examples), 1969 - 1980's: .05uf tan ceramic. The authority on this is actual photos of the real thing from collectors - you can see some of them here:

1965 Fender Stratocaster guitar 1964 Fender Strat guitar 65 64 collector info vintage pre-CBS

If you scroll down there will be a photo of the cap. Also you can move through the years to the previous and next year at the bottom of the first paragraph.
        I know that there are a lot of folks on this forum that have been inside of lots of vintage strats, so If I have any of this stuff wrong I would appreciate being corrected.

So, I do have some of the NOS .1uf red dime types and this morning I got out one of my strats with my other 60s type sets in it and I swapped out the cap to .1. It helped quite a bit. So I am sending the guy a couple of the .1's and a couple of the .05's just in case the .1 is TOO dark for him - which I seriously doubt.
        You say .01, I think you mean .1uf.
        I actually got the idea of the .1uf Caps from the forum a couple of years ago.
        Then I started looking at all the fender layouts.
        One guy said when he switched to the .1ufs and the 250k Pots, that is when he got the SRV tone he was looking for.
        I do my tone controls, I put the bridge on the back tone, and put the other two P/Us on the front tone.
        The .1ufs sound best with low winds.
        If you start over winding, then you need to get smaller.
        Good Luck,
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

• Yeah, dang decimal point in the wrong spot. I fixed it.
          www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

• I sit and look at fender guitar layouts a lot.
            http://support.fender.com/service_di...7702A_SISD.pdf
            Here's the Eric Johnson model.
            It also uses the .1uf, but a 1kv version.
            That makes the Disk Cap Quite a bit larger.
            I just use the lower voltage models.
            I usually solder it to the back tone POT.
            It usually has more room.

T
            Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
              ...Of course there're some that just can't do easy and have to think up something harder and then decide it is indeed too hard
              I've got nothing against easy- just thought it'd be fun to employ the lost art of cable lacing. Surely, a craftsman such as yerself can understand that.

My dad showed me eons ago, but I've long forgotten. Will do a bit of e-searching and get a hold of some waxed cord (more old-school than fishing line, I think)- shouldn't be hard at all.

PS- For a measly 200 turns, wrapping around brads nailed into a board wouldn't be a hardship.
              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

• Originally posted by rjb View Post
                I've got nothing against easy- just thought it'd be fun to employ the lost art of cable lacing. Surely, a craftsman such as yerself can understand that.

My dad showed me eons ago, but I've long forgotten. Will do a bit of e-searching and get a hold of some waxed cord (more old-school than fishing line, I think)- shouldn't be hard at all.

PS- For a measly 200 turns, wrapping around brads nailed into a board wouldn't be a hardship.
                You must have seen the waxed lacing string on my pick guard.
                I used it for 42 years installing phone offices.
                I know about all the stitches if you need any info.
                I'll try to find an old handbook somewhere.
                T
                Terry

Comment

You must have seen the waxed lacing string on my pick guard.
                  I used it for 42 years installing phone offices.
                  I know about all the stitches if you need any info.
                  I'll try to find an old handbook somewhere.
                  Thanks, Terry.
                  I think I've found enough info online- although it might be interesting to take a gander at the handbook.
                  Hope I don't have to learn all the stitches just to hold a coil in place.
                  DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

• Here's the 9 ply Lacing twine, like we used in phone office work.
                    Price pretty good also.
                    https://www.sourcetelsupply.com/cata...0gskoo4jc3ags7
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

Here's the 9 ply Lacing twine, like we used in phone office work.
                      Price pretty good also.
                      T
                      The lacing seems like the best thing, I have tried just using the acetate tape, looks vintage, but it only hangs in there for a week or two then unwinds unless I superglue the ends down.

Forutnately, I have a good supply of the cable lacing twine, and thanks to my dad who showed me how to do it, and one other forumite who I won't name.
                      www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

Price pretty good also.
                        T
                        That is a good price.
                        I had some lacing twine somewhere, but can't seem to find it.
                        For the small amount I need, I'll prolly snitch some waxed cord from my GF's jewelry making supplies.
                        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

• I just about have my lastest Mini Blade Baby Bucker finished for my strat.
                          It is the mildest wind yet. Somewhere in the 5k Range, that is counting both bobbins in Series.
                          I used the new small diameter Red 42 SPN.
                          I will pot it today.
                          T
                          Last edited by big_teee; 08-14-2012, 07:04 PM.
                          Terry

Comment

Price pretty good also.
                            T
                            The vinyl tape is not what is typically used for wrapping motor (or transformer) windings. What is used is a fabric tape (often cotton) with an adhesive that is compatible with the varnish used to impregnate the coil.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
                              The vinyl tape is not what is typically used for wrapping motor (or transformer) windings. What is used is a fabric tape (often cotton) with an adhesive that is compatible with the varnish used to impregnate the coil.
                              I guess your referring to the tape at the site, where I linked the 9 ply lacing twine?
                              All the items on that page are supplies for contractors that do Central phone office work.
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

I just about have my lastest Mini Blade Baby Bucker finished for my strat.
                                It is the mildest wind yet. Somewhere in the 5k Range, that is counting both bobbins in Series.
                                I used the new small diameter Red 42 SPN.
                                That doesn't sound like much wire. Are the bobbins smaller than "normal" (I don't know what a mini blade baby bucker is)?
                                Could you tell us how many turns per coil?
                                DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
                                X