This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rjb View Post
    That doesn't sound like much wire. Are the bobbins smaller than "normal" (I don't know what a mini blade baby bucker is)?
    Could you tell us how many turns per coil?
    That is my fancy name for a Blade pickup that fits a Strat.
    I think SD calls theirs Hot Rails.
    I have them potted and in the pick guard.
    I have to go down and finish putting the guitar back together.
    Then I can test the pickup.
    I also put another magnet in the big bucker, trying to make it brighter in the bridge.
    T
    **Turns?
    Your going to have to do some of the work?
    Last edited by big_teee; 08-15-2012, 04:28 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      That is my fancy name for a Blade pickup that fits a Strat.
      Dodging the question, eh?
      OK, I won't pry into your secret formulas...
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Dodging the question, eh?
        OK, I won't pry into your secret formulas...
        I got you in the ball park, your going to have to do some of the work
        But, seriously you can get all the parts from mojo.
        The down side is everything is black.
        I'm going to try to get with Tom at Mojo, about making a Vintage white bobbin.
        Vintage white goes with most pick guards.
        The black and vintage white would cover most bases.
        T
        **Here's another post on blades that has lots of info.
        http://music-electronics-forum.com/t27783/
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
          They don't have to be any particular DCR. I wound the bridge hotter. I did also make the bridge shorter it was .427 so was the middle, and the neck was .436.
          .1uf sounds like a lot, though I know they used that at first. I have tried it and thought it was too dark, but I like them brighter than this guy does. I have some NOS .1uf red dime types maybe I will put one of those in too just for insurance. He doesn't mind to solder and test. I like this guy.

Edit: PS he has already posted a clip of the neck pickup to the facebook blues deluxe group.
          Here's the '65 neck pickup rough demo sound clip that he posted, it's rough, but he said I could share it:

65 demo by Lizardry on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

This is with an .022 orange drop cap on the neck, not the .1uF red dime caps I sent, he just got those today.
          www.sonnywalton.com
          How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

Here's the '65 neck pickup rough demo sound clip that he posted, it's rough, but he said I could share it:

65 demo by Lizardry on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

This is with an .022 orange drop cap on the neck, not the .1uF red dime caps I sent, he just got those today.
            Sounds good to me, and sounds like he really likes it.
            We can say we Knew Sonny before He became Rich and Famous!
            Where is he located?
            T
            Terry

Comment

• Glorified Dummy Coil

I'll be soon a sanctified associate of The Secret Society of the Sacred Circle (AKA The Circle Jerks).

Just finished up my GDC (Glorified Dummy Coil). Took a while 'cause- since it's going to be shoved into an unshielded archtop- I had to figger how to make it sturdier and better shielded than "normal" GDCs.

Using non-ideal "parts on hand" increased the PITA factor. Stranded nylon from GFs jewelry-making supplies wasn't as easy to handle as waxed linen cord. Regular 2-conductor mic cable would've been less clumsy than the mini quad-star I had in the "leftovers" box.

I used Food Container Technology (much superior to Flower Pot Technology ) to wind the coil. After lacing, I potted the GDC in pure bees wax. For strain relief, I tied the mic cable in a modified Underwriter's knot around the coil; broke one of the mag wire leads in the process. Managed a functional but ugly fix. It's all covered in cloth and copper tape, so who cares.

The GDC will go into a Harmony Patrician. I've modified a DeArmond sound hole pickup to mount it on the pickguard, and installed essentially the same circuitry as in a Rhythm Chief control box also on the pickguard. Going to play around with cap values for the basic circuit, then add in the GDC- see how it goes.

For those into numbers- It's 200 turns 36 AWG @ 8" diameter, ~180 ohms

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coil, Laced.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	500.7 KB
ID:	825768Click image for larger version

Name:	Coil, Taped.jpg
Size:	681.8 KB
ID:	825769Click image for larger version

Name:	Coil, Shielded.jpg
Size:	673.6 KB
ID:	825770
              Last edited by rjb; 08-17-2012, 06:07 PM.
              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Sounds good to me, and sounds like he really likes it.
                We can say we Knew Sonny before He became Rich and Famous!
                Where is he located?
                T
                He is in Houston.
                www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

He is in Houston.
                  Got it.
                  Did you catch the Rich and Famous, comment?
                  T
                  Last edited by big_teee; 08-17-2012, 01:13 AM.
                  Terry

Comment

Did you catch the Rich and Famous, comment?
                    T
                    I'll have my people get back to your people on that.
                    www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

For those into numbers- It's 200 turns 36 AWG @ 8" diameter, ~180 ohms

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19689[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19690[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19691[/ATTACH]
                      Does the shield form a complete turn? If so, you probably want to open a small gap somewhere, so the shield isn't a shorted turn. The traditional place for the gap is opposite from where the cable connects.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
                        Does the shield form a complete turn? If so, you probably want to open a small gap somewhere, so the shield isn't a shorted turn. The traditional place for the gap is opposite from where the cable connects.
                        Now he tells you!
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

Now he tells you!
                          No problem; I haven't installed it yet. I should've known that, but didn't think about it.
                          Thanks, Joe.
                          DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
                            Voila, the old "gapless open loop" trick.

PS: I cleaned up the crappy solder joint after uploading the pic.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by rjb; 08-17-2012, 04:12 AM. Reason: Added PS
                            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Voila, the old "gapless open loop" trick.

PS: I cleaned up the crappy solder joint after uploading the pic.
                              That'll work. If necessary, one can close the gap by overlapping one shield over the other with insulation between, to eliminate the last little bit of noise coupling.

Comment

• Where is everyone tonight?
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X