No announcement yet.

WTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The more new software used, the more shortcomings are gradually discovered.

So for example the attachments https://music-electronics-forum.com/filedata/fetch?id=863692&d=1311784158 that existed, now are Invalid File Specified

Some topics have lost their links https://music-electronics-forum.com/t16021/ and a type comment appears instead of the content Invalid Page URL. If this is an error and the page should exist, please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message.

Maybe it's not a drawback, maybe just need "fine-tune" of the properties or small parameters of the new software.

A lot of similar forums links to the music-electronics-forum and it's sad when you click on the MEF link you get the answer Invalid File Specified or Invalid Page URL

Some of the examples
    https://music-electronics-forum.com/forum/amplification/guitar-amps/maintenance-troubleshooting-repair/26687-acoustic-control-corps-b220-low-distorted-output#post26687

https://music-electronics-forum.com/forum/amplification/guitar-amps/maintenance-troubleshooting-repair/23517-acoustic-370-repair-procedure#post23517

https://music-electronics-forum.com/forum/schematic-requests/23705-acoustic-g20-110?p=317383#post317383

Last edited by vintagekiki; 07-16-2020, 09:29 PM. Reason: Invalid Pages URL
    It's All Over Now

Comment

• Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
      The more new software used, the more shortcomings are gradually discovered.
      At least some things are getting better.

Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
      So for example the attachments https://music-electronics-forum.com/filedata/fetch?id=863692&d=1311784158 that existed, now are Invalid File Specified
      This is one of the attachments that went missing when the site was hacked in the Spring of 2013; not an issue with the new software.

Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
      Some topics have lost their links https://music-electronics-forum.com/t16021/ and a type comment appears instead of the content Invalid Page URL. If this is an error and the page should exist, please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message.

Maybe it's not a drawback, maybe just need "fine-tune" of the properties or small parameters of the new software.
      Most of these are being redirected to the old URL format at this point.

Again, most of these are redirecting to the proper destination, or at least to the correct thread if not the exact post.

If you find more URLs that don't end up where they should please post them.
      -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

• Originally posted by tboy View Post
        At least some things are getting better. .
        Indeed - we now have new topics, trending topics, activity stream, who's online, all good stuff & I appreciate your efforts.

One thing I do miss - the "byline" quotes at the bottom of entries. Some people had 'em, some not. It's no big deal but it was a feature I enjoyed.

Thanks tboy for fine tuning the new site software!

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
          One thing I do miss - the "byline" quotes at the bottom of entries. Some people had 'em, some not. It's no big deal but it was a feature I enjoyed.
          Isn't this one of those? Click image for larger version

Name:	sigtxt.png
Views:	227
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	909992
          -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

• Originally posted by tboy View Post

Isn't this one of those? Click image for larger version

Name:	sigtxt.png
Views:	227
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	909992
            Yep, that's me all right. Quote from Warren Zevon, when he knew his time was short. Good advice for anybody, anytime. But - I don't see that or other bylines on anyone's posts since the changeover. Not that it's vital, just a little feature that brings me amusement & I'm sure for others too. Kind of like bumper stickers some people put on their cars. Wonder if there's something amiss with my software (Win 10) or browser (Firefox.)

In any case, I appreciate your efforts. It's taken some getting used to the new program, that's to be expected. And I see overall traffic has increased in recent weeks, all to the good. Let's just say, I'll be extra impressed if you revive the byline feature. Or guide me to how I can view them. Thanks!

Comment

Yours is there, as tboy shows above, but you may have them turned off for viewing. Check under 'user settings' > 'account' tab > 'conversation detail options'

Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

• Originally posted by g1 View Post
                Yours is there, as tboy shows above, but you may have them turned off for viewing. Check under 'user settings' > 'account' tab > 'conversation detail options'
                Thanks g1, no joy. Tried it, checked the "see signatures" box, even entered my password for authentication, hit the "save changes" box, nothin'. Did it a couple times in case I goofed, still not working for me. Oh well...

Comment

Thanks g1, no joy. Tried it, checked the "see signatures" box, even entered my password for authentication, hit the "save changes" box, nothin'. Did it a couple times in case I goofed, still not working for me. Oh well...
                  If you view the thread in “Latest Activity” it won’t show thread signatures and a bunch of other details. Select “Posts” on the drop down list and check it again.
                  When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

• Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post

If you view the thread in “Latest Activity” it won’t show thread signatures and a bunch of other details. Select “Posts” on the drop down list and check it again.
                    Ahh.... there we go! Thanks Gonz & G1 for helping the digitally retarded Gnardo. I always use "Latest Activity." Now I'll have to occasionally navigate by other methods. I appreciate your assistance.

Comment

I always use "Latest Activity." Now I'll have to occasionally navigate by other methods.
                      Not sure if this will help, but when you are looking at the thread listings, there are 2 arrows for each thread title, one on each side of the page. The one on the left will take you to wherever you left off last time you were reading the thread. The arrow to the far right will take you to the newest post in the thread.

Click image for larger version

Name:	threadlst.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	910041
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

• I thought that was it, I like to view threads by reverse order too. I am not sure why the programmers of the bulletin board thought posts chronological and latest activity should have totally different views. They should have left the viewing of the threads identical and just switched the order of the thread. Then the programmers could have just relied on the options of the program to add or detract what you did not want to see on the profiles. Viola!
                        When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Not sure if this will help, but when you are looking at the thread listings, there are 2 arrows for each thread title, one on each side of the page. The one on the left will take you to wherever you left off last time you were reading the thread.
                          Another useful trick, thanx G1!

Comment

• WTF does the orange triangle unpublished post mean?
                            It has a ! in the middle of it?
                            If it is a notification, how do you clear it, and get rid of it?
                            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                            Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                              WTF does the orange triangle unpublished post mean?
                              A post that was deleted by a mod?

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                                WTF does the orange triangle unpublished post mean?
                                It has a ! in the middle of it?
                                If it is a notification, how do you clear it, and get rid of it?
                                A post that was deleted by a mod?
                                I believe that symbol is only visible to mods and admin. It appears on threads that contain soft-deleted posts.
                                -tb

Comment

Working...
                                X