X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
    Flower Pot Coil Technology improvement:
    Just out, the latest improvement to the design. A piece of wood is now bolted to the bottom of the pot....
    AFPCT: Advanced Flower Pot Coil Technology
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

• I finally got around to winding one of those big humbucker coils last night. Didn't have the right size plastic flower pot, so went with FCT (Food Container Technology), wound on my RGAHC (Rube Goldberg-Approved Hand Crank, pronounced "R-Gahk").

Click image for larger version

Name:	BigCoil on Winder.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	729.7 KB
ID:	825630

I had a little bit of #38 left over from a repair job and wanted to wind 200 turns at 8" diameter.
      Only had enough wire for 140 turns, so now I'm gonna order some #36.

In the mean time, I can play around with the #38 coil and try to figure out how to mount it inside the upper bout of a 3-1/2" deep archtop. I'll have to drop it through an f-hole, then open it into a flat circle & secure it to the front (or back?) of the guitar. I'D APPRECIATE ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO ACCOMPLISH THIS FEAT. I'm thinking the solution may involve use of an SCU (Simplified Cocktail Umbrella)- which I'll have to invent.

Later,
      -rb
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

• Originally posted by rjb View Post
        I finally got around to winding one of those big humbucker coils last night. Didn't have the right size plastic flower pot, so went with FCT (Food Container Technology), wound on my RGAHC (Rube Goldberg-Approved Hand Crank, pronounced "R-Gahk").

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19505[/ATTACH]

I had a little bit of #38 left over from a repair job and wanted to wind 200 turns at 8" diameter.
        Only had enough wire for 140 turns, so now I'm gonna order some #36.

In the mean time, I can play around with the #38 coil and try to figure out how to mount it inside the upper bout of a 3-1/2" deep archtop. I'll have to drop it through an f-hole, then open it into a flat circle & secure it to the front (or back?) of the guitar. I'D APPRECIATE ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO ACCOMPLISH THIS FEAT. I'm thinking the solution may involve use of an SCU (Simplified Cocktail Umbrella)- which I'll have to invent.

Later,
        -rb
        Good to see someone else actually doing something n not just yabbering. RB, I've been pondering your plight and haven't been able to come up with anything at all. The coil once wrapped in tape is pretty stiff so the question isn't how do you keep it in a circle but how do you fix it to the wood so it stays where you put it. The first thing you need to ascertain is, does it work, if so are you prepared to permanently fix it to the inside. I would think the 2 F holes ( I presume there are 2? ) will be adequate to be able to fix it to the insides in just those two positions? If so, the only thing that comes to mind is epoxying it in there. Any kind of double stick tape will only be temporary, a few dabs of epoxy through one F hole n then lay the coil in the epoxy, wait to set then do the other side. This is all I can think of, it may not be what you want to do but that's about all I can think of. You'll want to be dead sure the thing warrants permanent installation

Comment

• For Right Now, all I'm going to do, is just Yabber about it!
          I wound one, and couldn't get it off the form.
          I ended up putting it in the scrap pile.
          So I wound, and tried a small coil, and it doesn't suppress much.
          So for now I'm going back to my blade buckers.
          They have great tone, and absolutely no Hum.
          So in my Case, If it ain't broke, There's No Real Reason to fix it!
          Hope you other guys have better luck than me.
          Maybe I'll try again later, Probably Not!
          T
          Last edited by big_teee; 08-06-2012, 10:20 PM.
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

• Tho they see, so they are blind.

Comment

• There is plenty room and space for more than one type of pickup.
              Variety is what makes the world go around.
              The neck Blades if kept to a low DCR, IMO sound as good as any.
              The Blades have less hum than any type of pickup I've tried yet.
              Which is a good thing in my noisy bedroom Man Cave! lol
              So what else is going on?
              Surely there is more going on in the winding community than large coil winding, and making groves in Strat Bodies.
              Hopefully someone is making a pickup or two!
              T
              Last edited by big_teee; 08-07-2012, 08:01 AM.
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

• Too much thinkin', not enough tinkerin'

Originally posted by Ward View Post
                ... The coil once wrapped in tape is pretty stiff so the question isn't how do you keep it in a circle but how do you fix it to the wood so it stays where you put it....This is all I can think of, it may not be what you want to do but that's about all I can think of.
                Just farted around with the coil and guitar in hand- it actually looks like it won't be too hard to install.
                I can't mount it to the top, because the two tone bars are in the way. D'oh.
                So it'll be a matter of dropping it in, finessing it into position with forceps, and gluing it down with some flexible adhesive.
                Maybe I'll get to use neo mags as gluing clamps, oh boy.
                DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                  Not me. I just try to fix the ones I break.
                  DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

• I've just started the painting process for my next guitar, it's a strat with QUIET SINGLE COILS and it's gonna be candy red sparkle. Start with silver metallic base coat, then coats of trans red then a bit of candy red micro flake in clear, then clear coats. Still haven't received the HPN wire although the mojo order that was placed 6 days LATER is here.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjb View Post
                      Just farted around with the coil and guitar in hand- it actually looks like it won't be too hard to install.
                      I can't mount it to the top, because the two tone bars are in the way. D'oh.
                      So it'll be a matter of dropping it in, finessing it into position with forceps, and gluing it down with some flexible adhesive.
                      Maybe I'll get to use neo mags as gluing clamps, oh boy.
                      Good luck mate.

Comment

I've just started the painting process for my next guitar, it's a strat with QUIET SINGLE COILS and it's gonna be candy red sparkle. Start with silver metallic base coat, then coats of trans red then a bit of candy red micro flake in clear, then clear coats. Still haven't received the HPN wire although the mojo order that was placed 6 days LATER is here.
                        Sounds good.
                        I never met a Red Guitar I didn't like.
                        Most of my guitars are red.
                        I just wound a blade bobbin with the new Red SPN.
                        It is so slick and easy to use.
                        This one had no tangles like the last one.
                        T
                        **Good Luck rjb, that sounds tricky, but I bet your up to the task!
                        Terry

Comment

So what else is going on?
                          Surely there is more going on in the winding community than large coil winding, and making groves in Strat Bodies.
                          T
                          I did get another set of three of the 65 strat pickups done yesterday, got tired of waiting for my magnets to come in so I ground down some longer ones just to get something to work with. I think my magnets must be in the same truck with Ward's wire. Probably parked behind some bar somewhere. This set was wound hotter than the first set to darken them up some and boost the output. I potted them this morning and have done my electrical tests on one. Then I got sidetracked when a customer came by to pick up his guitar I set up, so I haven't had a chance to put this set in my test guitar. It was hot here today, I think I could almost have just put the wax pot out on the patio and saved some electricity. From what testing I have done these are different than most any of the single coils I have done so far, the spectrums look different. I can definitely see that the mids are boosted relative to the higher frequencies, but the output still seems low for the inductance. It almost seems that the mids are being boosted at the expense of the rest. Anyway all that is just electrical testing, the real test will be listening, and comparing so I will try to put them in the test guitar tonight, and see what I've got.
                          www.sonnywalton.com
                          How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
                            I think my magnets must be in the same truck with Ward's wire. Probably parked behind some bar somewhere.
                            They're probably still in Hanna's Purse!
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

They're probably still in Hanna's Purse!
                              T
                              Magnetic hold.

Comment

Magnetic hold.
                                No, I think he ordered from ADFX.

I just wound the second mini blade coil.
                                Boy, that is some nice winding wire.
                                It may not sound worth a Tinkers Damn, but it sure winds nice!
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X