X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    Don't know about allstar magnets.
    Ward, how does the wire look, have you micd it yet?
    Sonny, if you pickup gets famous, are you gonna send us all a free sample?
    T
    Sure thing. I will probably have two free samples left over from this set the way it is going...

Allstar is good if you need a lot they have made me some humbucker bars to my specs, and I have gotten lots of alnico rods for sizes that I use often. I think the quality is good and the prices are good. But it isn't for smaller quantities. They need like a $500 order. But they can get anything.
    www.sonnywalton.com
    How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

• I don't have a mic but I can tell you I had a hell of a time opening the box. The wire isn't as thick as some OZ .063mm I've got here, could be good.
      I'm having a good mate send me his guitar from Adelaide, it's an HSS Ibanez thingy, he wants me to put a set of p/ups in as well as the Advanced Flower Pot coil Technology, says to rout out whatever I need.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
        I don't have a mic but I can tell you I had a hell of a time opening the box. The wire isn't as thick as some OZ .063mm I've got here, could be good.
        I'm having a good mate send me his guitar from Adelaide, it's an HSS Ibanez thingy, he wants me to put a set of p/ups in as well as the Advanced Flower Pot coil Technology, says to rout out whatever I need.
        Hey Ward, I bet that box didn't come apart during shipping. lol
        You can ruin a good knife cutting the tape.
        He hides those big Staples under the tape.
        Caught me off guard, the first I ran across the staples.
        I always liked Ibanez guitars, they did some good engineering.
        Lots of their guitars have Dimarzios in them.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I was referring to the #400 Posts on this thread!
          T
          Well I was referring to someone actually answering the phone

Comment

Hey Ward, I bet that box didn't come apart during shipping. lol
            You can ruin a good knife cutting the tape.
            He hides those big Staples under the tape.
            Caught me off guard, the first I ran across the staples.
            I always liked Ibanez guitars, they did some good engineering.
            Lots of their guitars have Dimarzios in them.
            T
            All the staples were visible but I had to cut a side of the box off, oh well, good packing, gouged me on shipping though by a good $15. Whatever happened to the USPS flat rate medium box, 20lb to OZ for $43 or so. So I have to pay $70. This one said $55.
            Apparently this is a cheaper Ibanez so dunno what I'll find. He said he likes the SH-5, so I guess I'll just do it that way, 14K n ceramic mag, any idea if the coils are mismatched or even? Oh no, is this a secret too. He said ALL the pickups are micro on the thing.

Comment

All the staples were visible but I had to cut a side of the box off, oh well, good packing, gouged me on shipping though by a good $15. Whatever happened to the USPS flat rate medium box, 20lb to OZ for $43 or so. So I have to pay $70. This one said $55.
              Apparently this is a cheaper Ibanez so dunno what I'll find. He said he likes the SH-5, so I guess I'll just do it that way, 14K n ceramic mag, any idea if the coils are mismatched or even? Oh no, is this a secret too. He said ALL the pickups are micro on the thing.
              If it's a SH5 Duncan, Just about all their buckers were Equal bobbins.
              Maybe some custom shop stuff were Async.
              a 14k sounds good with about any magnet.
              I'm partial to A8s, in a wind like that, but what I do I know. lol
              My USPS was $16.85 and got here in three days.
              T
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg0BNTebcbY
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Apparently this is a cheaper Ibanez so dunno what I'll find.
                A lot of them don't have a pickguard. That might be a challenge for the Advanced Flower Pot Technology, if it is the case.
                www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
                  Prize?? I just want my magnets... Haven't had a big problem with Addiction FX up to now though, and
                  Sonny, did you phone AFX? If so, did anybody answer?

Thanks
                  Rob.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                    Sonny, did you phone AFX? If so, did anybody answer?

Thanks
                    Rob.
                    Nope, Didn't call. This was just a small order and I just used their ebay. Ordered on July 28. Tracking info still shows electronic info recieved and nothing else. I got around this by grinding down 12 A5 rods from .781 to .719. Kind of a pain.
                    www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

A lot of them don't have a pickguard. That might be a challenge for the Advanced Flower Pot Technology, if it is the case.
                      He probably would have said if it didn't but I could just make one if needed, I'll put my dough on it having one already though.
                      Thanks T, so symmetric wind then, cool. Pretty sure he wouldn't like it without the ceramic mag, just the type of tone and attack he gets.

Comment

Nope, Didn't call. This was just a small order and I just used their ebay. Ordered on July 28. Tracking info still shows electronic info recieved and nothing else. I got around this by grinding down 12 A5 rods from .781 to .719. Kind of a pain.
                        Thanks for the reply.
                        Could you have gotten away with .710" A5's?

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
                          Could you have gotten away with .710" A5's?
                          Not for this order, too bad because I have plenty of .710 in stock, 100+. But the customer was looking for this set to be very close to the 1965 specs. I quizzed him on it, told him about modern radius etc. when he placed the order, and told him I didn't have any magnets that long in stock and would have to order them. He understood and it wasn't a problem, still isn't in a big rush but I just got impatient. This is also a little bit of a development thing, I don't have a ready to offer mid 60's model right now that isn't changed quite a bit from the originals. He is willing to work with me on this new model, be patient, maybe make me a demo, etc. All his guitars have 9.5 fretboard radius so taller middle magnets isn't a problem and he has passed over buying several other 1965 replicas on the specs not being 100%. So I am trying to do that and so far I think I have a set made for him that will do what he wants and still be true to the (published) specs. I did degauss them just a tad. They are in my test mule strat now.

Btw, I just checked and the tracking info hasn't changed.
                          www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

All his guitars have 9.5 fretboard radius so taller middle magnets isn't a problem and he has passed over buying several other 1965 replicas on the specs not being 100%.
                            I hear ya Sonny. I learned long ago that when a paying customer wants something unusual (or in your case, something that is historically correct but most likely not audibly or visually detectable) to just do it.

Good for you!
                            I hope he likes them and has found his new pickup builder

Comment

I hear ya Sonny. I learned long ago that when a paying customer wants something unusual (or in your case, something that is historically correct but most likely not audibly or visually detectable) to just do it.
                              Yeah he knows what he wants, and unlike a lot of customers like that, he has done his homework better than most. The list of the ones he has passed over or already tried is pretty big. It already included most of the ones I might have suggested right off the bat.
                              www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

Yeah he knows what he wants, and unlike a lot of customers like that, he has done his homework better than most. The list of the ones he has passed over or already tried is pretty big. It already included most of the ones I might have suggested right off the bat.
                                Some of those old 60s strat pickups were a little larger than the .187.
                                I think there was a lot of inconsistency in magnets back then.
                                I've heard some, were A3 Magnets.
                                I wonder if the bigger diameter magnets were the A3s?
                                So Many Questions so little time!
                                T
                                Last edited by big_teee; 08-07-2012, 06:24 PM.
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X